Honey and Yoghurt Layer Cake
Honey Yoghurt Layer Cake
Ingredients – cake
3 Cups Plain Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup Greek Yoghurt
½ Cup Eucalyptus Honey
1 Tbsp Vanilla Bean Extract
225 gm butter room temperature
4 eggs, room temperature
Ingredients – Cream Cheese Frosting
340 gm butter room temperature
225 gm cream cheese softened
5 cups icing mixture
Ingredients - Honey Glaze
1/3 Cup Sugar
¼ Cup Honey
½ Cup Thickened Cream
Method – Cake
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C, grease, and line 2 x 12-inch cake tins
2. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together. In a separate bowl mix the yoghurt, honey, and vanilla extract. Put aside.
3. Beat the butter and sugar in an electric mixer on medium until creamed and smooth.
4. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each one and scrape the sides of the bowl when needed.
5. Add the flour mixture and the yoghurt mixture alternating until just combined. Divide the mixture into the pans and bake for 35-40 minutes or until cooked
6. Allow to cool for 15 minutes and then remove fr5om pans and cool on a wire rack
Cream Cheese Frosting
1. In an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the butter an cream cheese until it is smooth
2. Sift the icing mixture to remove the lumps and slowly add a little at a time until fully incorporated.
1. When the cake is completely cooled, slice the top of each cake to make them perfectly flat. Slice through each cake in the middle to make a lid and a base like a sandwich. Stack the cakes on top of each other to make sure that they are even in shape and size.
2. Fill each layer with the cream cheese and then coat the sides and top of the cake with the cream cheese as a crumb coat. Place it in the fridge until cold. Then apply another layer of frosting to the sides and top and smooth with a spatula. Place in the fridge while you make the glaze.
Method - Honey Glaze
1. Place the honey and sugar in a saucepan on a medium heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
2. Allow the mixture to continue to cook, but do not stir. Swirl the pan occasionally the mixture will bubble and get darker in colour. As soon as the mixture is a golden brown remove it from the heat and stir in the cream. Add the butter and stir until combined.
3. Allow the mixture to cool for about 10 minutes and place in the fridge for approximately 30 minutes or until it is thick but still pourable.
Place cake on a serving dish and pour the glaze over the top allowing it to drip down the sides. Decorate as you like